Bed and Breakfast Gli olivi

la migliore risposta per trascorrere una vacanza in Toscana

  • default style
  • blue style
  • green style
  • red style
  • orange style
Saturday 16 Dec 2017

Error
  • The page you are trying to access does not exist.

We have 44 guests and no members online

Print

Written by Enrico Lanfossi. TPL_WARP_POSTED_IN Bed and Breakfast Gli Olivi

For the characteristic medieval architecture of its historic center was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The site of San Gimignano, despite some reversals nineteenth and twentieth century , it is mostly intact in two-fourteenth century and is one of the best examples in Europe of urban organization of the municipality.
territory

The municipality of San Gimignano extends for 138 square kilometers and is situated on a high hill in the Val d' Elsa. The altitude difference is between a minimum of 64 meters above sea level in the plain of the river Elsa at Certaldo to a maximum of 631 meters in the area of ​​Cornocchio , the capital is set at 324 m above sea level
climate

    
Seismic Classification : Zone 2 ( medium-high seismicity ) , PCM Ordinance 3274 of 20/03/2003
    
Climate classification : Zone D, 2085 GR / G
    
Atmospheric diffusion : high Ibimet CNR 2002

history
the origins

San Gimignano was built on a site inhabited by the Etruscans certainly , at least from the third century BC , as evidenced by numerous archaeological finds (especially tombs) in the surrounding area. The hill was definitely chosen for strategic issues , being dominant (324 m) over the upper Val d'Elsa .

On the slopes of Poggio del Comune ( 624 m asl) are the ruins of Castelvecchio , a village of Lombard period .

The first mention dates back to 929 .

In the Middle Ages the town was on a pillar of Via Francigena, which Sigerico , Archbishop of Canterbury, traveled between 990 and 994 and which for him represented the nineteenth stage ( Mansi ) of its return route from Rome to England . Sigerico the appointed Sce Gemiane , signaling the village as a point of intersection with the road between Pisa and Siena.

According to tradition the name comes from the Holy Bishop of Modena, who would defend the village from the occupation of Attila .

The first city walls dating back to 998 and included the hill of Montestaffoli , where there was already a fortress home market owned by the Bishop of Volterra, and the slope of the Tower with the bishop's castle .
the thirteenth century

 

Taddeo di Bartolo , San Gimignano from Modena who holds the city of San Gimignano, City Museum ( San Gimignano)

About 1150 , despite the opening of a new route of the Via Francigena , San Gimignano continued to be an emerging center , with a policy of territorial expansion and significant growth of the business. It was during this period that he formed two " villages " outside the walls: that of St. Matthew, to Pisa , and that of St. John , to Siena , both along a new "high road" , which were incorporated into the walls with the new route completed in 1214.

In 1199 , at the height of its splendor Economically, the country gained its independence from the municipal to the bishops of Volterra. There were some internal struggles between Guelphs and Ghibellines ( respectively headed by the irreducible Ardinghelli and Salvucci ), but from the thirteenth century, under the Ghibellines , dates from the period of greatest economic splendor , which was based on trade in precious local agricultural products, including the most sought was saffron , sold in Italy (Pisa , Lucca , Genoa) and abroad (France and the Netherlands , even up to Syria and Egypt ) . Moreover, like other Tuscan towns , spread financial speculation and usury. The strong economy allowed the creation of an urban aristocracy , who expressed his political and social supremacy in the construction of the towers in the fourteenth century it grew to 72 towers ( today there are perhaps 14).

The huge accumulated capital was invested during the thirteenth century in important public works , which gave the town the articulation of urban spaces still visible today .

In 1251 the walls inglobarono Montestaffoli , but a few years later, in 1255 , the city was taken by the Guelphs of Florence who ordered the destruction of the walls . Having regained independence in 1261 and returned to the Ghibelline supremacy after the battle, the rebuilt the walls of San Gimignano including also the slope of the Tower . Since the conformation of the town was divided into four districts , each corresponding to a main door : that of Piazza di Castello, of St. Matthew and St. John .



The religious orders , supported by the municipality, settled in the city since the mid- thirteenth century : the Franciscans outside San Giovanni ( 1247 ) , the Augustinians at the door St. Matthew (1280 ) , the Dominicans in Montestaffoli ( 1335 ) and the Benedictine St. Jerome at the Porta San Jacopo ( 1337 ) .

From 8 May 1300 the City had the honor of hosting Dante Alighieri as an ambassador of the Guelph League in Tu

 

scany.
The decline of the Medici era and contemporary

The fourteenth century was a century of crisis that did not spare San Gimignano : troubled by internal struggles , it was heavily affected by the black plague and famine of 1348 , which decimated the population . In 1351 the city exhausted voluntarily handed himself in Florence, gave up its autonomy and a political role in the arena of Tuscany. From that year the fortress of Montestaffoli , while in 1358 the walls were reinforced .

Despite the economic and political decline , the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries were important from the point of view of art , thanks to the presence in the city of many masters , Siena or Florence more often , especially by the religious orders called to embellish their possessions . They worked in San Gimignano Memmo di Filippuccio , Lippo Memmi and Federico , Taddeo di Bartolo , Benozzo Gozzoli , Domenico Ghirlandaio , Sebastiano Mainardi (native of San Gimignano) , Piero del Pollaiuolo, etc. .

The decline and marginalization of the city in the following centuries were the conditions that allowed the extraordinary crystallization of its medieval appearance.

At the plebiscite in 1860 for the annexation of Tuscany to Sardinia the "yes" received not , however briefly , the majority of claimants ( 1122 out of total of 2275 ) , a sign of opposition to the annexation .

At the end of the nineteenth century they began to rediscover the uniqueness and beauty of the town, which was submitted in full to the monumental constraint in 1929. In 1990 it was declared a UNESCO world heritage site.

During World War II , the country was bombed by the Americans for ten days , the Torre Grossa was destroyed the bell ( a new one was given after the war by the people of the Soviet Union ), a house collapsed in the square and a piece of the cathedral ; the bombing began on Thursday , market day , and this caused some dead a young mother was shot in the foot by a splinter , and had his leg amputated. After ten days spent in shelters that San Gimignano , the priest was able to convince the Americans that in the village there were no more than ten Germans, and that they could storm the city without risk.
Monuments and places of interest
Towers of San Gimignano
the towers
Flag of UNESCO.svg Well protected by UNESCO Flag of UNESCO.svg
UNESCO World Heritage Site World Heritage logo.svg
Historic Centre of San Gimignano
(EN) Historic Centre of San Gimignano
[ [File : Sangimignano0001.jpg
Towers of San Gimignano seen from Via San Giovanni
| 280x280px ]]
Type Architectural
Criterion C ( i) ( iii ) ( iv )
No indication of danger
Recognized since 1990
UNESCO Card (EN ) More
(FR ) More

San Gimignano is especially famous for its medieval towers that still stand out on its landscape, which have earned him the nickname of Manhattan of the Middle Ages. Between the 72 towers and tower-houses, existing in the heyday of the City , it five in 1580 and today there are sixteen , with other scapitozzate intravedibili in the urban fabric . The oldest is the Rognosa tower , which is 51 meters high , while the highest is the Torre del Podesta, also known as Torre Grossa, of 54 meters. A regulation of 1255 forbade private citizens to build the tallest towers of the tower Rognosa (which at the time was the highest) , although the two most important families , and Ardinghelli Salvucci , they built two towers little lower than almost equal size , to demonstrate their power .

    
Bell tower of the Collegiate
    
Towers of Ardinghelli
    
Torre dei Becci
    
tower Campatelli
    
Torre Chigi
    
Tower of Cugnanesi
    
Devil's Tower
    
Tower Ficherelli or Ficarelli
    
Torre Grossa
    
Tower of Palazzo Pellari
    
Tower-house Minnows
    
tower Combs
    
tower Rognosa
    
Torri dei Salvucci

In some texts, the number of towers is reduced from 16 to 14 : Counting in general are removed from the bell tower of the Collegiate Church and the Casa -Torre fishes that have different characteristics from the others.
religious Architecture
Piazza della Cisterna view from Torre Grossa

    
Collegiate Church : also commonly known as the Cathedral, completed in 1148, is considered one of the finest examples of Tuscan Romanesque . Built on three aisles , the walls are frescoed . Among the valuable works in fresco : San Sebastian by Benozzo Gozzoli and the Story of Santa Fina by Domenico Ghirlandaio in the Chapel of Santa Fina , among those of the Sienese school : Old and New Testament by Bartolo di Fredi and the workshop of Memmi and Judgement Taddeo di Bartolo . Notable sculptures by Giuliano and Benedetto da Majano el ' wooden Annunciation by Jacopo della Quercia.
    
St. Augustine Church : This church also contains many frescoes , including the Chapel of St. Bartolo di Benedetto da Majano , the stories of the life of Saint Augustine by Benozzo Gozzoli , and other remains of frescoes , tables and paintings by different authors ( Benozzo Gozzoli , Piero del Pollaiuolo, Pier Francesco Fiorentino , Vincenzo Tamagni , Sebastiano Mainardi ) .
    
Church of Santa Maria
    
Shrine of Mary, Mother of Divine Providence
    
Church of the Quercecchio and former Oratory of St. Francis, houses the Museum ornithological
    
Church of the Conservatory of Santa Chiara
    
Church of Our Lady of Enlightenment
    
Church of San Bartolo
    
Church of St. Francis
    
Church of St. James in the Temple
    
Church of San Lorenzo Bridge
    
Church of St. Peter
    
Church of St. Jerome
    
Convent of Monte Oliveto
    
Loggia of the Baptistery ( Oratorio di San Giovanni)
    
Hospital of Santa Fina
    
Abbey of the Holy Sepulchre and St. Mary in Helmets

civil architectures

    
house Salvestrini
    
Medieval sources : journey on the road outside the Porta delle Fonti , access the second walls of San Gimignano. Their construction dates from the fourteenth century , when they were asked to cover a source in Lombard stone of the ninth century . in ancient times these were the public sources in the area, where they drew water , and they washed their clothes .
    
Loggia del Comune
    
Municipal Palace or Palazzo del Podesta again : once housed the mayor , currently houses the civic museum and art gallery containing masterpieces by artists such as Pinturicchio , Benozzo Gozzoli , Filippino Lippi , Domenico di Michelino , Pier Francesco Fiorentino , etc. . Moreover, also in the Town Hall , you can visit the hall of Dante with the Majesty of Lippo Memmi and access the Torre Grossa, 54 m high dating back to 1311.
    
The old palace of the Podesta formerly used for civil functions before the construction of the new building , was later turned into a prison and then ( in the sixteenth century ) in the theater.
    
Palace Baccinelli
    
Palace Cortesi
    
Palace Ficarelli
    
Palace Franzesi Ceccarelli
    
Palace Lucii
    
Palace Mangani
    
Pratellesi Palace : one of the most interesting palaces of the city, dates back to the fourteenth century and has a fine sixteenth-century fresco by Vincenzo Tamagni .
    
Palazzo Razzi
    
Building Talei Franzesi
    
Palace Tamburini
    
Palace Tinacci
    
Palazzo Tortoli Tortoli - or Treccani
    
Palace Useppi
    
Palace Vichi
    
Pharmacy of Santa Fina , using material from the Pharmacy of the Hospital of Santa Fina , which reproduces the old pharmacy , with ceramic and glass containers and medicines .

military architecture

    
Walls of San Gimignano
    
Porta San Giovanni
    
Porta San Matteo
    
Porta San Jacopo
    
Porta delle Fonti
    
Bastion St. Francis
    
Rocca di Montestaffoli

natural Areas

    
Castelvecchio Nature Reserve

archaeological Areas

    
Necropolis Cellole

Print

Written by gliolivi. TPL_WARP_POSTED_IN Bed and Breakfast Gli Olivi

Bed and Breakfast Gli Olivi

Autore: Bed and Breakfast Gli Olivi - Toscana - Pisa - Calci 

Pieve di Calci
The Parish Church was founded in the late eleventh century , the façade is composed of pediment corresponding to the nave and two different sloping roofs , built in sandstone ( brown) Lavagnino ( gray ) and white marble.
the Charterhouse
Founded in 1366, since then the Calci Valley became Pretty , or full of divine grace. The Carthusian monks remained there until 1973, after the Charterhouse was converted into a Historical Artistic Museum , you can visit today part of the areas where they lived the Carthusians .
hours:
Sunday and holidays 8:30 to 12:30
The other days 8:30 to 18:30 (guided tours every hour )
Always closed on Mondays , Christmas, January 1 , May 1
Info: ( +39) 050.93.84.30
The Museum of Natural History and the Territory
Here you can admire , 150 naturalized animals , including 4 extinct , and even reptiles and amphibians, paleontological field includes more than 100,000 pieces , of which only a part is exposed. A mineralogical collection of 16,000 pieces, 63,000 zoological specimens . The gallery of cetaceans is the most important in Europe with 50 skeletons.
Info: ( +39) 050.22.12.970 - www.msn.unipi.it
San Bartolomeo in Three Hills
The parish is in the Pisan Romanesque style , the facade is a stone above the door , there is a mullioned window whose windows were built with donations from the calcesani , the Knights of Malta and Queen Elena of Savoy.
The Molino dei Gangalandi
Il Molino is the last of more than 100 that existed in the nineteenth century, it preserves all the equipment, the mill and the gears original , still able to run .
Info Tourist Office Kicks : (+39) 050.99.10.683
Kicking you are anywhere wrought iron crosses , shrines, castles , monasteries and churches are worth visiting.

Print

Written by Enrico Lanfossi. TPL_WARP_POSTED_IN Bed and Breakfast Gli Olivi

Bed and Breakfast Gli Olivi - Lucca

Autore: Bed and Breakfast Gli Olivi - Toscana - Pisa - Calci 

Founded as a Ligurian settlement according to some historians , while others believe that it is of Etruscan origin, and developed as a Roman city in 180 BC , in the sixth century Lucca became the capital of the Lombard Duchy of Tuscia and then developed in the twelfth century as a municipality and then Republic .

Latin colony in 180 BC , Lucca still contains intact many of the characteristics typical of ancient times . The amphitheater , which still retains its characteristic shape of elliptical square closed, the hole is located in Piazza S. Michele dominated by the homonymous Romanesque church that evokes strong references to the classical world in many architectural components . But the track is more evident in the Roman streets of the old town, which reflect the orthogonality of the Roman Empire set by the thistle and the decumano , corresponding to the current Fillungo street - Cenami and via S. Pauline - Rome - Holy Cross. Roman times was also the first city walls, which enclosed a square area in which, during the course of the centuries , have formed the center of political power (current Palazzo Ducale ) and the religious center . In 55 BC Lucca was the scene of a meeting of the First Triumvirate of Julius Caesar Pompey and Marcus Licinius Crassus where Caesar was seen to extend for a further five years, the proconsul in Gaul .

Occupied by the Goths in 400 by the Byzantines and the following century , the history of Lucca was characterized to be among the most important capital of the Lombard kingdom . We recall in fact Desire third Earl of Lucca and elected " Rex Langobardorum " in 756 and the successors Allone , fourth Earl and Duke of Pisa and Wicheramo , fifth Earl , who became a vassal of Charlemagne. Thanks to the presence of the Holy Face in the church of S. Martin, became a main stop on the pilgrimage from Canterbury to Rome along the Via Francigena, one of the most important communication routes of the Middle Ages . Nonetheless, there remained little evidence of this historical period . In 773 the Lombard dominion of Lucca fell , and began the Carolingian domination , thanks to the defeat of the Dukes of Lucca at the hands of Charlemagne. During this period the city consolidated the leading position conquered the Lombard era thanks to the growing commercial and textile production , for which it became a city famous throughout Europe . Textile production was the beginning of economic growth and Lucchese , thanks to the start of the manufacture of silk , Lucca prevailed even more in European markets. The high quality of the product was due to the fineness of the material and the beauty of the decorations. In the Middle Ages , in particular, the city grew significantly in relation also to the ancient Via Francigena that Lucca was an important step on the religious level for the presence of the Holy Face , a venerated relic that represents the crucified Christ , and that is located in the Duomo of Lucca. The itinerary of the Sigerico , Archbishop of Canterbury , the city was the stage XXVI ( Mansi ) .

Despite the constant vicissitudes related to the struggles between Guelphs and Ghibellines Lucca in the fourteenth century it became one of the most important cities of the Italian Middle Ages . His Lord Castruccio Castracani of Antelminelli , noble Ghibelline of great political and military capacity , he manages to make it unique antagonist expansion of Florence bringing it to victory ( 1325 ) at the Battle of Alton where defeating the strongest Florentine army chasing him up under the walls of Florence. On the death of Castruccio the city fell into a period of anarchy which sees subjected to the dominion of the Visconti and later the dictatorship of John Lamb Doge of the Republic of Pisa. Regained freedom in 1370 through the intervention of the Emperor Charles IV , Lucca is such a republican government , and with a shrewd foreign policy came to know a considerable reputation in Europe thanks to its bankers and the silk trade . " On March 27, 1370 Messer Guido da Bologna Cardinal , left free to Lucca Lucca and Agosta , large fortress (built de Castruccio ) jumped into all the earth . " [Diary of Monaldi ] , Milan, 1845, p . 433. The Emperor Charles IV granted the city the possibility to adopt a studium generale ' , but a real university Lucca will not come into operation before 1787.

Apart from a brief period of Signoria like Paul Guinigi , Lucca remained an independent republic until 1799 the year of his final downfall at the hands of the Austrians . The 23 June 1805 at the request of the Senate of Lucca, is formed the Principality of Lucca and Piombino , given to Napoleon's sister , Elisa Bonaparte and her husband Felice Baiocchi .

The Congress of Vienna was decided to create the Duchy of Lucca. On May 10, 1815 took over as regent , Maria Luisa of Bourbon - Spain, which was succeeded by Charles of Bourbon from 1824 to 1847 . In 1847 it became part of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany. In 1860 it was annexed to the kingdom of Sardinia.

Dante Alighieri including many references to the great feudal families who had a large jurisdiction with administrative and judicial powers ; Dante himself spent many of his years in exile in Lucca.

On 24 November 2006 he hosted the bilateral summit between Italy and France in the presence of Prime Minister Prodi and the President of the French Republic Jacques Chirac .

Print

Written by Enrico Lanfossi. TPL_WARP_POSTED_IN Bed and Breakfast Gli Olivi

Bed and Breakfast Gli Olivi - Certosa di Pisa

Autore: Bed and Breakfast Gli Olivi - Toscana - Pisa - Calci 

 

The Certosa di Pisa or , more properly , the Certosa di Calci, is in the province of Pisa, in the municipality of Calci, in a flat area on the slopes of the Pisan mountains called Val Pretty . Former Carthusian monastery , now houses a museum of the University of Pisa.

The Charterhouse is about 10 km from the city of Pisa and once known as common in the city. The present appearance has Baroque style and consists of a large courtyard just after the entrance , dedicated to the life and the common point of contact with the outside world, while over the buildings surrounding the courtyard are arranged cells , orchards and environments most reserved and quiet , suitable for the rule of the Carthusian life .
history

It was for the decision of the Archbishop of Pisa Francesco Moricotti that 30 May 1366 was founded the Certosa, in the Val di Calci Pretty .

The convent took later also political importance , especially after the annexation of the former Benedictine monastery on the island of Gorgona , which took place in 1425 . In the second half of the fifteenth century Florentine artists settled in Pisa to perform work in the Opera del Duomo. But it is mainly between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries that are made ​​of the most important works.

Structure

Facade of the Church of the Certosa

You enter the complex through a vestibule century , crowned by the statue of St. Bruno , the founder of the Carthusian Order , to the right is the Chapel of Sebastian, originally reserved for women, and left the guesthouse of women, current ticket .

The extensive court of honor longitudinal introduces the sanctuary. Opposite the entrance is the prospect of Baroque church , set on a podium with double staircase , designed by the architect Nicholas Stassi : note , at the top , the statue of the Virgin in glory.

The interior, dating from the seventeenth century, consists of a nave along the walls of which are set against the wooden stalls for the monks , a wall inlaid polychrome marble separates the space intended for converts. Towards the end of the seventeenth century wall paintings begins with the stories of the Old Testament , the people of Bologna Antonio and Giuseppe Rolli , the frescoes of the dome are of Lucca Stephen Cassiani , who also paints the sides, behind the altar , and between the windows.

The high altar was built and designed by Giovan Francesco Bergamini and finished in 1686 by his son Alexander , and there is a painting by Baldassare Franceschini said Volterra , San Bruno with offering the Certosa di Pisa to the Madonna of 1681.

From the church leads to the sacristy surrounded by large closets, the Chapel of the Relics and the various chapels , where each monaco celebrating private Mass daily , in the chapel of Saint Ranieri is preserved eighteenth-century painting of the Pisan Giovan Battista Tempesti , with San Ranieri , the patron saint of Pisa , in the chapel of San Bruno find a painting of the saint, by Jacopo Vignali , the chapel of the Virgin of the Rosary was hand painted by Giuseppe Maria Land at the end of the eighteenth century .

Among the most interesting of the monastery, the Lodge Grand Ducal , so called because reserved for the rulers of Tuscany, with fine stucco and frescoes of Somazzi with allegorical figures of Peter Giarrè . The refectory is the product of the transformation of the primitive environment fourteenth century : among the most ancient , the fresco of the Last Supper , Bernardino Poccetti ( 1597 ), while the rest of the wall decorations , made ​​in 1773 , is due to Pietro Giarrè . On the seventeenth-century cloister , with a central monumental octagonal fountain , open the monks' cells , each designed as a unit consists of several rooms.

Among the many areas of the monastery include the apartment of the prior, the rich Library, the Historical Archives and pharmacy. In the guesthouse was set the Picture Gallery of the convent , which houses many valuable paintings, including the collection of the family Borghini of Calci.

The west wing of the Certosa houses the Museum of Natural History and the territory of the University of Pisa.

Print

Written by Enrico Lanfossi. TPL_WARP_POSTED_IN Bed and Breakfast Gli Olivi

Bed and Breakfast Gli Olivi - Certosa di Pisa

Autore: Bed and Breakfast Gli Olivi - Toscana - Pisa - Calci 
 

La Certosa di Pisa o, più propriamente, Certosa di Calci, si trova in Provincia di Pisa, nel comune di Calci, in una zona pianeggiante alle pendici dei monti pisani chiamata Val Graziosa. Ex monastero certosino, ospita attualmente un museo dell'Università di Pisa.

La Certosa dista circa 10 km dalla città di Pisa e un tempo rientrava nel comune della città. L'aspetto attuale ha forme barocche ed è composta da un grande cortile interno subito dopo l'ingresso, dedicato alla vita comune e punto di incontro con il mondo esterno, mentre oltre gli edifici che circondano il cortile sono disposte le celle, gli orti e gli ambienti più riservati e tranquilli, adatti alla regola di vita certosina.

Storia

Fu per decisione dell'arcivescovo di Pisa Francesco Moricotti che il 30 maggio del 1366 venne fondata la Certosa, nella Val Graziosa di Calci.

Il convento assunse in seguito un'importanza anche politica, in particolare dopo l'annessione dell'antico monastero benedettino dell'isola di Gorgona, avvenuta nel 1425. Nella seconda metà del XV secolo, artisti fiorentini si stabilirono a Pisa per assolvere a lavori dell'Opera del Duomo. Ma è soprattutto tra Seicento e Settecento che vengono compiuti i lavori più importanti.

Struttura

 
Facciata della Chiesa della Certosa

Si accede al complesso attraverso un vestibolo seicentesco, coronato dalla statua di San Bruno, il fondatore dell'Ordine dei Certosini; a destra si apre la cappella di Sebastiano, in origine riservata alle donne, e a sinistra la foresteria delle donne, attuale biglietteria.

L'ampia corte d'onore longitudinale introduce al santuario. Di fronte all'ingresso è il prospetto barocco della chiesa, impostata su un podio con scalinata a doppia rampa, opera dell'architetto Nicola Stassi: da notare, sulla sommità, la statua della Vergine in gloria.

L'interno, risalente al XVII secolo, è costituito da un'unica aula lungo le cui pareti sono addossati gli stalli lignei destinati ai monaci; una parete intarsiata a marmi policromi separa la zona destinata ai conversi. Sullo scorcio del Seicento inizia la decorazione pittorica parietale con le Storie del Vecchio Testamento, dei bolognesi Antonio e Giuseppe Rolli; gli affreschi della cupola sono del lucchese Stefano Cassiani, autore anche delle pitture ai lati, dietro l'altare e tra le finestre.

L'altare maggiore fu realizzato su disegno di Giovan Francesco Bergamini e terminato nel 1686 dal figlio Alessandro; vi si trova una tela di Baldassarre Franceschini detto il Volterrano, con San Bruno che offre la Certosa di Pisa alla Madonna, del 1681.

Dalla chiesa si accede alla sagrestia circondata da grandi armadi a muro, alla cappella delle Reliquie e alle varie cappelle, in cui ogni monaco celebrava la messa privata quotidiana; nella cappella di San Ranieri si conserva il dipinto settecentesco del pisano Giovan Battista Tempesti, con San Ranieri, patrono di Pisa; nella cappella di San Bruno troviamo una tela raffigurante il santo, di Jacopo Vignali; la cappella della Vergine del Rosario fu invece affrescata da Giuseppe Maria Terreni alla fine del Settecento.

Tra gli ambienti più interessanti del monastero, la Foresteria Granducale, così detta perché riservata ai sovrani di Toscana, con pregevoli stucchi del Somazzi e affreschi a figure allegoriche di Pietro Giarrè. Il refettorio attuale è il risultato della trasformazione del primitivo ambiente trecentesco: tra le testimonianze più antiche, l'affresco con l'Ultima Cena, di Bernardino Poccetti (1597), mentre il resto delle decorazioni parietali, compiute nel 1773, si deve a Pietro Giarrè. Sul seicentesco chiostro grande, con al centro la monumentale fontana ottagona, si aprono le celle dei monaci, ciascuna concepita come unità abitativa composta da più stanze.

Tra i numerosi ambienti del monastero ricordiamo l'appartamento del Priore, la ricca Biblioteca, l'Archivio storico e la farmacia. Nella foresteria è stata allestita la Quadreria del convento, che ospita numerosi e pregevoli dipinti, tra cui la collezione della famiglia Borghini di Calci.

L'ala ovest della Certosa ospita il Museo di storia naturale e del territorio dell'Università di Pisa.

More Articles...