Bed and Breakfast Gli olivi

la migliore risposta per trascorrere una vacanza in Toscana

  • default style
  • blue style
  • green style
  • red style
  • orange style
Monday 10 Dec 2018

We have 7 guests and no members online

Print

Calci EN

Written by Enrico Lanfossi. TPL_WARP_POSTED_IN Bed and Breakfast Gli Olivi

History

Kicks is a collection of villages, of which today the oldest remaining fractions, which begins to develop in the Republican period around the castle of the Bishop of Pisa, feudal lord of the valley, distributing its settlements along the course of the main streams ( the Zambre ) and they drawing water for the tanning activity , and for the supply of water wheels , useful to move mills and hammers.

The olivicultura provided the finest oil and Zambra gave the water power to the mills . This activity was known by the name of White Art and was one of the most important in the country, together with the ' Arte della Lana , which offered a high-quality textile production. Other minor arts were the collection of myrtle , washing of linens and the tanning of animal skins . The forests of its mountains were protected by strict laws and gave timber to the shipyards of the Pisan Republic .

In the Middle Ages the civic life of calcesani was organized in a municipal institution composed of six consuls, representatives for other communities throughout the territory calcesano , that the mountain was pushed to the right bank of the Arno. Life revolved around the churches of S. Mary in Willarada , the mother church no longer exists, and S. Andrea on Lama. The large Romanesque church was built at the time of the Bishop Daiberto , between 1080 and 1111, the year in which you were placed the relics of the patron saint Ermolao Martyr.

Calci often found himself involved in the bloody and vicissitudes of the long war between Florence and Pisa. Loyal to the Republic , with Pisa fell at the beginning of the sixteenth century under the rule of Florence , and in the reorganization after the defeat, he was attached to the community of Vicopisano until the end of 500, when he was attached to Pisa.

The original villages , put up by farming and herding , have not been developed or disappeared, while in 1500 the country literally molds itself around the course the most important of the streams , for a development of nearly three miles, on which they operated at the end of the nineteenth century , more than 100 mills driven by water wheels . The persistence of houses and courtyards , huddled in hermitages , monasteries or churches among olive groves and forests of chestnut , gave Calcesana valley called Valle Pretty .

In the sixteenth century Calci was detached from Vicopisano and met in Pisa until, in 1867 , the calcesani asked and obtained from the government of Victor Emmanuel II, the separation from the community of Pisa and the ability to erect themselves into an independent municipality .

Towards the end of the 90s of the twentieth century, the municipality has experienced a substantial increase of the building fabric , particularly in La Gabella have arisen where many residential buildings, houses and a block and a shopping center, which have significantly changed the appearance of the country once purely agricultural .

Name

Common in place names, the origin of the name of Calci is erroneously attributed to calx, calcis, meaning "lime", widely present in the stone quarries located along the mountain shore, but not in the town of Calci, whose geological structure is much older and absolutely opposite nature (silica). The locus Calcis is the primitive attribution onomastics of the valley of Latin etymology (calceum for "foot" or "heel" of the mountain) or even greek, measured in deeds and documents dating from the eleventh and tenth centuries, it preesistendo names of Latin root, which Rethianus (today Rezzano) and Vicus Cassii, become Vicascio (now replaced by the more recent name of "La Gabella").

From 1887 to 1953 it was constituted Kicks location terminus steam tramway which goes along the axis of the Via Fiorentina, connected with Pisa and Pontedera, through a branch to its own premises in locations that detached Navacchio, with Caprona and Calci.

Center of gravity of the valley is the church of Saints John and Ermolao, in true Pisan Romanesque style. In the modern era around it form the aggregate most important urban, which takes the name of the church - La Pieve - and that becomes the fraction of the capital.
Religione

Ever since the early Middle Ages the hermits Saints Jacopo and the Costa Verano St. Alexander of water and living in the shadows of the woods in the dens of the slopes verrucane. The sanctity of these hermits had great response so that it can be assumed that Bernard of Clairvaux has traditionally visited those places, during his stay in Pisa for the Synod of 1135.

In the fifteenth century near the town was founded a Carthusian monastery, known as the Certosa di Calci Pisa or, now a museum run by the University of Pisa.

Monuments and places of interest
religious Architecture

 

  •      Parish Church of Saints John and Ermolao
  •      Certosa di Calci
  •      Church and convent of St. Augustine
  •      Sanctuary of the Madonna delle Grazie

Ville

Aree protette